Skip to main content


English language support services, in group, individual, or online settings

Open Enrollment Services

English Language Programs provide language support services to international graduate students and scholars at Northwestern University. Our services take place year-round and include group classes, one-on-one instruction, and supported use of online software. Our services are offered as non-credit courses, and they are available at no charge to eligible students and scholars currently enrolled or employed at the university.  Anyone in the Northwestern community may also attend our quarterly ELP Language Table series, Something to Talk About. 

We also offer Advising Sessions and Office Hours as a way to get advice on a specific language question, review previous test scores, or, for PhD and MFA students, make a plan to fulfill The Graduate School’s English Proficiency Requirement.

Quick links to open enrollment services:

Proficiency-Based Services

For some PhD and MFA students, participation in specific English Language Programs services is required during graduate study. Participation in these classes is based on specific test scores and student criteria.

Professional Development for Graduate Students in Linguistics

Our program also offers significant training and teaching opportunities for graduate students in the language sciences, including the PhD programs in Linguistics and Communication Sciences and Disorders, and the PhD and Masters program in Speech-Language Pathology. In preparation for teaching in English Language Programs, PhD students in these programs will enroll in Linguistics 489: Applied Linguistics for English Language Teaching, typically during Spring Quarter of their first year. Graduate assistantships are available for PhD students to teach in Linguistics 380, 480, 482, and 483 (based on the department's recommendation). Masters level students in Speech-Language Pathology may be eligible for a limited number of paid teaching opportunities.  PhD students in other programs with appropriate training and experience in language teaching may also be eligible for these opportunities.

If you are a current or prospective graduate student in Linguistics, Communication Sciences & Disorders, or Speech-Language Pathology, or have experience in teaching English to adult learners, please contact for more information.