Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can use the English Language Programs services?
English Language Programs serves students and scholars of The Graduate School:  PhD students, MFA students, postdoctoral fellows, and students in a TGS masters program. Other Northwestern affiliates, such as undergraduates, students in a non-TGS masters program, faculty, staff, and visiting scholars, may attend certain services as availability allows. For more information, see our eligibility page.

We do not offer classes for the general public or family members of Northwestern affiliates. We have a full list of community resources for family members here.

How do I register for English Language Programs classes?
Click here for our registration page. Contact us at if you have any other questions.

I am a postdoc, visiting scholar, or other non-student affiliate. Can I sign up for ELP services?
Some non-student affiliates can participate in our classes through auditing, availability permitting. Auditing means that students attend classes and participate in all of the class activities, but do not receive a grade or a transcript.

Auditing is available in some of our services on a limited basis.  Postdoctoral trainees may audit any of our services by filling out our online registration form. Other affiliates may audit Linguistics 483 only by filling out our online registration form during the affiliate registration period. For information on when to sign up as an auditor, visit our registration page, or sign up for our mailing list to have updates mailed to you directly--send an e-mail to to get on the list.

How can I get a tutoring appointment?
Eligible students and postdoctoral trainees may enroll in Linguistics 482 (Individual Instruction for Nonnative Speakers of English) through our online registration form. Please see our registration page for more details and specific dates. Tutoring office hours are also available to anyone affiliated with Northwestern. See our Advising and Office Hours page for more details. Assigned weekly tutoring appointments are only available for PhD and MFA students, postdoctoral trainees, and students in a TGS masters program.  

How do I sign up to use your supported online software programs?
Our online speech and language training software program, NativeAccent™, is available as a non-credit course enrollment in Linguistics 483. If you would like to sign up to use NativeAccent™, please contact our Program Coordinator, Brian Hampson, for assistance with registration at

Why is there more than one time listed for Linguistics 380? Which one should I choose?
We use Linguistics 380 as the main course title for all of our group language courses in spoken English, including:  Academic Presentations, Pronunciation, Conversation & Fluency, and Speech Acts & the SPEAK Test. If you would like help in deciding which of these courses is right for you, please contact us for an advising session.

We also use Linguistics 380 for Integrated Academic Skills, a special orientation course for first-year PhD and MFA students in fall and winter quarter.  Students are eligible for Integrated Academic Skills based on test scores and proficiency level.  Please contact us at if you have questions about any of our group language classes, and we will be happy to assist you.

I live in the area and I would like to support international students. Do you need volunteers?
Yes! We welcome participation from volunteer tutors, instructors, or conversation partners through the Community Council for International Students (CCIS). CCIS has a number of ways to volunteer and can always use additional help. If you are a Northwestern graduate student, you may also consider applying for a leadership role in our English Development through Guided Exploration (EDGE) Program. For more ways to support international students, please see our Get Involved page, or contact us at for more information.

I am a TESOL professional. Do you have teaching positions available?
Full-time positions, if available, will be listed on the Northwestern Careers website. We also occasionally hire adjunct instructors to teach on a temporary, part-time basis. If you would like to be considered for an adjunct position, please send a current CV/resumé with a cover letter and names of at least two teaching references to the following address:  Applicants must have a master's degree or PhD in TESOL, Linguistics, or Speech-Language Pathology, letters of recommendation, and experience in teaching adult learners at the intermediate level and higher.